screwed up crank shaft pulley allen bolt...

Hi all,

I was going to replace the timing belt on my '86 8V this evening, but
ended up rounding out one of the Allen bolts connecting my alternator
pulley to the crankshaft (preventing me from taking off the lower timing
belt cover). I'd previously used Liquid Wrench, but I suspect all the
bolts were over tightened by PO, and I was unlucky with this one (they're
only supposed to be torqued to 20 Nm, but I had to get a lot of leverage
before they'd budge, and this was with the Liquid Wrench being given ample
soak-in time).

Anyway, what are my options? The best way I can see is to use something
that can grip the bolt on the outside strong enough to keep from slipping
with the amount of torque needed to loosen it, though I don't have
anything that can do this right now. Options after that seem less
attractive and more expensive. I'd like to be able to do it myself, for
obvious reasons, but if I have to take it in, I guess I'll have to.

Oh well -- being stymied by the stuck bolt, I wound up replacing my water
pump, which was a very interesting (and tiring) thing to do right after
work in a parking garage...

Thanks,
Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com