Re: Need your advise here!

At 09:20 AM 7/23/99 -0400, Joel Leclerc wrote:
>I have made checked by another garage yesterday, and he's telling
>me that the clutch is slipping (finish)!! And by double clutching
>it make it easier to shift. I'm not sure about my clutch is finish,
>but it's the first time I heard about synchronizers? Can you explain
>me that better.. Can this be fix and be cheaper that a clutch
>replacement? since he want to change the clutch for 400$-500$ CAN!
>Is that expensive for a normal sash clutch (210mm 16v)?
>
>Joel
Well considering synchronizers are internal transmission parts I would hope
for a bad clutch disc if I were you.  Each gear in the transmission has a
synchronizer, although some share syncros, and replacing them would be like
replacing the gears.  Not fun. Or cheap.  I don't what the exchange rate is
right now but, around here (maine) garages are getting a minimum of
$300(most start around $350) to change out  a clutch.  So that may not be
all that bad.  Have considered doing it yourself?  The clutch kit should
run you from around $120 to $150 or so(has been a few years since I bough
one though).  This is in US currency.

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is out/
 and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)