Re: [non-scirocco] DOGS: THE LAST POST

First of all, let me say that this will be the last post from me about this
dog incident.  Iain, if you care to continue your personal attacks, please
do it directly at me, as I'm sure no one on the list cares to hear them.  I
know I don't.

And, for the record, John, the dog is actually 215lb... which is precisely
the reason for my concern.  A 140lb dog is difficult to handle.  *He* is
impossible.

>Hmm.  Something to think about, maybe you smell bad.  The dog should have
>been restrained - if he broke a leash, get a bigger one.  Beau, the
>shepherd I referred to yesterday, had a habit of breaking leashes during
>his rather enthusiastic "greeting" - so we got cables, which he simply
>pulled out of the side of the house(he had a runner - 80' cable from house
>to tree with a roller, attached to a 20' cable).  Eventually, we made
>something he could not break(1/8" steel backing plate).  We figured it out.
	Remember, I'm not his owner.  I don't know what he did to try to restrain
the dog.  I had a 105lb shepherd all of my childhood... he was a big,
strong dog.  But he wasn't even HALF of the weight or strength of this
dog... keep that in mind.

The Cows:
>First off, I don't believe you.  Don't bother asking, as yes, I am calling
>you a liar.
	Whether or not you believe me has no bearing on the truth.  Nor do I
especially care either way.

  I don't want to discuss whether you are being truthful - maybe
>you were dumb enough to believe this 20/6 story, but I don't, and I won't.
>No dog is going to get away with biting "over 20 people" and killing "6
>cows" in this society.  It simply won't happen.  If the nurses "recognized"
>your injury, the animal control bastards would have been notified, and the
>dog would have been killed long ago.
	Yes, the animal control center and police offices are informed every time
a dog bites a human; I had to give a report.  However, as the police
officer explained to me, under Pennsylvania law, the dog was properly
restrained because he was inside the building.  Therefore, there's nothing
they could do. Ditto for the insurance company.  The only thing they could
do was drop him; they could not make him get rid of the dog... despite all
of the claims.

Biting the dog back:
>It was a bit of sarcastic humor.
	Well, what would *you* have suggested he do with the dog?  Would you want
to have your kids mauled to death first?

>No, I am not ignoring the fact that the dog should be restrained during
>business hours.
	Bingo... but the key point is that the owner couldn't keep him restrained.

>There it is.  According to this, YOU told HIM that if he killed the dog,
>you would not "press charges or sue."  Which is it?

You can not tell from my sentence "I told him that if the had the dog put
to sleep, I wouldn't press 	charges or sue", whether or not he had
suggested it first.  All I did was give him word that IF he went through
with it, he had my word that I wouldn't sue.

>Bottom line, I think it is wrong to kill a dog at the drop of a hat.
	You keep ignoring the fact that I completely agree with you.

>I also believe that most people seemingly do not think about what they are
>getting into when they decide to buy a pet(when there are hundreds of
>abandoned pets at the pound, but that's another story).
	AAAAHHHHH so now we finally all see why you've got your panties all in a
bunch.  You're upset cause people abuse their animals, and you want to take
it out on me.  Hey, I said I am an animal lover... so of course I
completely agree with you about people abusing their animals.  Yeah, it's
disgusting.  HOWEVER, you are failing to draw the line between a cute pet
(and even a cute pet who occassionally, when scares, snaps at someone) and
an uncontrollable 215lb dog who bites constantly, and for no reason.

  If
>this dog really had bitten 20 people and killed 6 cows, and no one had
>killed it, do you expect me to believe that the owner would not have tied
>it up?  You said earlier, well here it is...
	He couldn't keep the dog tied up, I already said that.  It exactly for the
reason that the dog bit 20 people that I thought it was necessary to put
him to sleep.  But you seem to neglect this fact when you accuse me of
wanting to kill the dog "at the drop of a hat".  No one killed the dog
becuase the owner is an idiot, and the law was on his side.

John, if you're seriously interested in the dog, I'll call the shop and ask
Norm.  I was bitten Nov 13, and he made the appointment the following
Monday, but then was told he had to wait 10 days because of Rabies, etc...
I have no reason to think the dog is still there, but if you *really* want,
I'll find out.

	And that's enough of that....
			Jason