Re: [non-scirocco] DOGS

>Hmmm.  What's that going to fix?  This, in my opinion, is lame.  You got
>bitten by a dog.  You, a human being, are supposed to be SMARTER than a
>dog.  I find it hard to believe that a 215 pound dog with a reputation for
>being aggressive snuck up on you and got a snack.
	Okay.  I was standing with his owner and he came up to us, tail wagging
and panting...  he walks over to my hand, smells it, and didn't like what
he smells.

  My mother's dog bit
>some moron over Christmas - idiot was running down the street, directly
>toward my mother.
	Well, he deserved to get bitten!

  I was not there, I doubt you provoked the
>dog, but when I see a dog which I am not sure of, I walk away.  Darwinism.
	I was in a place of business.  The dog should have been restrained,
especially if he had a history.  And I had no where to walk away to.

  Sorry you got bitten, but giving a dog owner an ultimatum
>like that is shameful.
	Before we go any further... or I get flamed to death... let me be the
first to point out that I am an animal lover through and through.  However,
this guy is scared to death of his own dog, and you can't have a 215lb
monster on the loose with no one to control it, especially if he becomes
violent for no reason.
	I also did not give him the ultimatum until AFTER he HIMSELF said that he
was going to put the dog to sleep! And what was his reason for doing so?
At triage in the emergency room, the nurse looked at the size of the jaw
print in my hand and said "Damn... that was a big dog.  Wouldn't happen to
have been a St. Bernard... at a body shop, would it?"  Three different
nurses, all independent of one another, recognized this dog's jawprint.
	Then, what finally made him say that he was putting the dog down, I was in
the X-Ray waiting room and there's this lady sitting there, foot in a cast.
 She asks me what happened, I say dog bite.  She goes and tells this
elaborate story of her brother bring in a body shop waiting room.  Huge ST
Bernard walks in, smells his hand, and rips it off.  Shoudla seen the
owner's face.  Out of kindness, I didn't tell her that he was the one
sitting next to me, but when she found out the same dog got me, too, she
named three other people WHO SHE KNEW that had been bitten by the dog in
the past 3 months.
	That's when I decided something needed to be done about the dog.

His insurance dropped him:
>So it is HIS fault that the dog was not restrained, not the dogs.  Get the
>dog killed, that'll make things better. Great.  Not going to fix your
>hand.
	Um... no.  Three of the times the dog attacked someone, he broke his
leash.  It doesn't take much effort on the part of a dog that size to rip
the hook out of the wall.  He is uncontrollable, plain and simple.  Should
we all wait until this dog kills an innocent kid who walks up and yanks his
tail?

>What has our world turned into?  I hope you're kidding - you are even
>considering putting someone out of business over a glovebox in an old car?
>Sigh.
	Yes, I am kidding, as I said I was.  I'm not after anyone's money... and I
don't care to put anyone out of business.  I am getting pretty damn sick of
asshole mechanics who think they can do what they want and get away with it.

>No.  I am sure someone can.  Don't frequent this place.  Get a bandaid.
>I've been bitten by three dogs, oh well.  Twice, it was my own fault.  The
>other time, I scared a dog in the woods - riding my bike, startled him, he
>bit me.  Can't blame him.
	No... you can't.  But when I'm standing around writing a check for $3000
in repairs for my car because some FUCKHEAD decided to steal everything
that was in it, I don't expect to get attacked by a crazy fucking dog,
either.... and then find out that he's bitten over 20 people in the last
year, the owner included, and everyone's too afraid of him to do SHIT about
it.

>You got bitten.  That's a
>drag.  Getting the dog killed is not the solution - getting the dog
>restrained is.
	As I said before, that hasn't seemed to work either...

>Sigh.  A good friend's dog got killed by the parents of a girl who got
>bitten - he was the best dog in the world, but was brought up by a bunch
>of 22 year old guys.  He played ROUGH. Kid does not obey, dog bites -
whose fault?
>PARENTS.  Not the dog's.
	All of the examples you've given, Iain, have no relevance to this one.
There's something distinctly different between a dog who attacks ONCE
because he's scared (or because he's playing rough), and a dog who seeks
out people and bites them for no reason... over and over and over again.
I'm not advocating putting every dog to sleep, but let's call a Spade a
Spade here.  The dog is sick.  Fine, if he was a poodle.  Not fine if a
leash can't stop him from attacking people.. OR his owner.

>I don't agree with this philosophy - kill the dog because it bit me.  Go
>bite the owner, it is his fault, not the dog's.  The dog was doing its job
>- protecting its assets.  What if the dog did not care if a stranger was
>messing with your car?  Maybe it is a good thing there's a 215 pound Cujo
>looking after your car while you are not there.
	Well, I'm sorry you don't agree with my philosophy.  Bite the owner? How,
by suing him?  Well, I don't see the point, personally... and from your
ravings about lwayers, I don't think you do, either.    We're not talking
about a guard dog who attacks seedy people breaking into the shop.  He
attacks customers all the time... There's a fundamental difference here
that you're completely ignoring.
	So, if I can't bite the owner, and I doubt me biting the dog will do
anything.... how about agreeing with the owner... and realizing that the
dog is uncontrollable and dangerous and, as sad as it is, he needs to be
put away from people.
	Speaking of being put away, Norm (the owner) TRIED to give him away.  He
gave the dog to a farm.  Over night, he killed 6 cows... so you tell me
what a good alternative solution was.