Re: [non-scirocco] DOGS

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:10:41 -0500 Jason <jtcst20+@pitt.edu> writes:

>I was in a place of business.  The dog should have been restrained,
>especially if he had a history.  And I had no where to walk away to.

You are absolutely right. Its the owners responsibility to CONTROL his
dog.

>Before we go any further... or I get flamed to death... let me be the
>first to point out that I am an animal lover through and through.
However,
>this guy is scared to death of his own dog, and you can't have a 215lb
>monster on the loose with no one to control it, especially if he becomes
>violent for no reason.

As am I an animal lover. (Note my recent addition to my web site.... my
kids! No, not my human kids. Screw them, my good kids!) Again, im seeing
the fault of the owner. Everything I read says the owner is at fault.
100%! and not the dog.

>I also did not give him the ultimatum until AFTER he HIMSELF said that
he
>was going to put the dog to sleep! And what was his reason for doing so?
>At triage in the emergency room, -SNIP- recognized this dog's jawprint.
>That's when I decided something needed to be done about the dog.

Dude, its not the dogs fault. The dog has done all he cant to tell the
dipshit owner that he likes to bite and is unpredictable. As an owner of
a business, you would think that he would want to try and protect his
customers. Some places have friendly dogs that will greet you when you
come in. It gives everybody a smile to have a wagging tail meet you as
you come in. (If only people could do this trick.) So this schlock
KNOWINGLY lets this dangerous dog run free. This un responsible prick let
his dog bite 20+ people and hasnt either gotten a muzzle for the dog or
taken the dog out of the public contact?????

	WTF!!!!

Don't put the dog down. Put the owner down! Shoot his ass up, scratch his
ears and tell him you "love him" while he's dying! (reference to those
who Don't know, this is how they put dogs to sleep.)

>His insurance dropped him:

Gee after 20 dogbites.... I cant possible imagine WHY!

>>You got bitten.  That's a
>>drag.  Getting the dog killed is not the solution - getting the dog
>>restrained is.
>
>	As I said before, that hasn't seemed to work either...

The dog haunt been restrained. If it had, it wouldn't of bitten 20
people. Come on dude!
The owner's pathetic excuse of "he breaks leashes" sucks! Its all
BULLSHIT. The owner NEEDS to be held accountable. PERIOD!

>All of the examples you've given, Iain, have no relevance to this one.
>There's something distinctly different between a dog who attacks ONCE
>because he's scared (or because he's playing rough), and a dog who seeks
>out people and bites them for no reason... over and over and over again.

Right, there are dogs who fall into the category of NEEDing to be put to
sleep because they are dangerous. What makes them dangerous? Biting??
That's a part of it. What makes them dangerous is when the owner does all
he/she can to restrain the dog yet the dog still manages to get out, get
free and attack someone. What comes to mind is a pit bull here locally
who had tunneled his way out. The owner put in concrete footing 2' deep
all the way around his fences. Then the dog learned to climb fences.
Built a higher fence. Smart dog with a goal in mind. He ended up escaping
and biting a little girl in the face. They put him to sleep. The dog, in
a ironic way, killed himself.

Remember dude, this dog did not seek you out. You approached him and
offered your hand to it. Once again, I point my gun at the owner.

>I'm not advocating putting every dog to sleep, but let's call a Spade a
>Spade here.  The dog is sick.  Fine, if he was a poodle.  Not fine if a
>leash can't stop him from attacking people.. OR his owner.

Sounds like he learned early that a simple "leash" wasn't good enough.
Has he ever heard of "CHAIN". How about a MUZZLE? Those work quite
effectively too. The dog might knock you down but at least you Don't get
bit.

>	Speaking of being put away, Norm (the owner) TRIED to give him
>away.  He gave the dog to a farm.  Over night, he killed 6 cows... so
you tell
>me what a good alternative solution was.

Go into the meat industry? Who allowed the dog to run free with cattle? 6
in one night? Hard to believe. I think somebody has imbelished a bit on
this one. Something like that would of made CNN im sure!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and