Re: [non-scirocco] DOGS

	Okay.  I was standing with his owner and he came up to us, tail wagging
>and panting...  he walks over to my hand, smells it, and didn't like what
>he smells.

Hmm.  Something to think about, maybe you smell bad.  The dog should have
been restrained - if he broke a leash, get a bigger one.  Beau, the
shepherd I referred to yesterday, had a habit of breaking leashes during
his rather enthusiastic "greeting" - so we got cables, which he simply
pulled out of the side of the house(he had a runner - 80' cable from house
to tree with a roller, attached to a 20' cable).  Eventually, we made
something he could not break(1/8" steel backing plate).  We figured it out.

A little snippage....
	That's when I decided something needed to be done about the dog.
.... and then find out that he's bitten over 20 people in the last
>year, the owner included, and everyone's too afraid of him to do SHIT about
>it.

>	Speaking of being put away, Norm (the owner) TRIED to give him
>away.  He
>gave the dog to a farm.  Over night, he killed 6 cows... so you tell me
>what a good alternative solution was.

First off, I don't believe you.  Don't bother asking, as yes, I am calling
you a liar.  I don't want to discuss whether you are being truthful - maybe
you were dumb enough to believe this 20/6 story, but I don't, and I won't.
No dog is going to get away with biting "over 20 people" and killing "6
cows" in this society.  It simply won't happen.  If the nurses "recognized"
your injury, the animal control bastards would have been notified, and the
dog would have been killed long ago.  Not many farmers would tolerate a dog
destroying their livelihood, either.  I don't like it, but I don't believe
a dog with over a bite a month and six dead cows on its tally sheet would
be alive.  Beau got killed after three documented bites - none were
aggressive.

	Well, I'm sorry you don't agree with my philosophy.  Bite the
owner? How,
>by suing him?  Well, I don't see the point, personally... and from your
>ravings about lwayers, I don't think you do, either.

It was a bit of sarcastic humor.

 We're not talking
>about a guard dog who attacks seedy people breaking into the shop.  He
>attacks customers all the time... There's a fundamental difference here
>that you're completely ignoring.

No, I am not ignoring the fact that the dog should be restrained during
business hours.

>	So, if I can't bite the owner, and I doubt me biting the dog will do
>anything.... how about agreeing with the owner... and realizing that the
>dog is uncontrollable and dangerous and, as sad as it is, he needs to be
>put away from people.

Now wait a second.....I'm going to find the original post....

	See, when I picked up my car, I was attacked by his 215 pund (I am not
making this up) St. Bernard watch dog.  While in the hospital, with a 1"
hole through my right (shift) hand, >>>I told him that if he had the dog put
to sleep, I wouldn't press charges or sue.<<<  He was relieved,as his shop has
no insurance because his last ins. co. dropped him 'cause of the dog.
Seems he had a history of biting people.

There it is.  According to this, YOU told HIM that if he killed the dog,
you would not "press charges or sue."  Which is it?

Bottom line, I think it is wrong to kill a dog at the drop of a hat.  I
also believe that most people seemingly do not think about what they are
getting into when they decide to buy a pet(when there are hundreds of
abandoned pets at the pound, but that's another story).  Too many people
get pets & seemingly do not think about the fact that they'll live 15 or so
years, a cuddly little StBernard puppy will soon turn into a BIG, smelly,
slobbery dog, and that most dog problems can be traced to their owners.  If
this dog really had bitten 20 people and killed 6 cows, and no one had
killed it, do you expect me to believe that the owner would not have tied
it up?  You said earlier, well here it is...

	Okay.  I was standing with his owner and he came up to us, tail wagging
>and panting...  he walks over to my hand, smells it, and didn't like what
>he smells.

This dog bit 20 people in 97, and he is allowed to walk around free.  I
believe you, no really, I do.

I.Mannix(or you were standing within range of his restraint?  Oh.)