Re: Grounding Cold Start valve?? Demystified

At 11:21 AM 12/28/98 -0800, A. Bjorkheim wrote:

>> I'm not saying ground the wire to the thermo-time switch (which WOULD be
>> stupid), just ground the body by way of the socket headed cap screw.   I've
>> been doing it for three years now, and it WORKS.  Don't take my word for it
>> though (or VW's TSB).  Keep on crankin'...
>
>    You could do this as well, but doesnt it require taking out the thermo
>time switch?  By simply grounding the green or blue wire, whichever it is,
>NOT the red w/blk stripe, you gain the same results, all without having to
>take out the thermo time switch.  Or am I missing somethign here?  And why
>would it be stupid?
>
> Andre'
> Neon Green 79

Take a brown, small guage, ground wire.
Hook one end to the battery's negative post connector.
Run it around the back of the firewall and secure it along the way.
Unscrew one of the cold start ( also know as the '5th' ) injector's
mounting bolts.
Clean the metal surfaces with a good electronics contact cleaner.
Place a spade type wire connector on the bolt and reinsert the bolt back
were it was.
Connect the other end of the brown ground wire to the spade connector that
is now apart of the body/case/outside of the 5th injector.
Do Not harm, alter, disturb the 5th injector's signal wires, those that
activate it during cold starts.

Nuf said.
Andre- put the egg nog down man.

TBerk