Vanagon engine swaps...was: Sad sight

At 08:05 12/11/98 -0600, Mark Mages wrote:
>I am at a loss to decide which of my VW's cost me more - this has been an
expensive year for cars.....
>$4K on the van and around $2-3k on the rocco....

Bummer.  That beats what I've spent by a 2 or 3 k...but then I've got a
dead Camry in the garage to get rid off (replaced by a VW Cabrio
--woohoo!-- for you VW purists;^)

>Hey - anyone know if a 16v engine will fit in a Vanagon?  Joachim?  now
that would be the $#!t....... :)

Don't know if that's been done and I don't know enough about the
differences between 8v and 16v hardware to say whether it can be done, but
as others have pointed out Kennedy Engineering makes a number of adapters
for fitting engines into the Vanagon bay and mating them to the tranny:
Subaru boxers, Porsche boxers, etc.  And if you have a diesel Vanagon,
installing a straight-4 8v Golf engine is pretty easy.  How torquey is the
16v anyway?  That Vanagon is one hulking mass...

But the real kicker is this: there are now two new kits available for
putting in a VW A2 4-banger or an Audi straight-5 (ie from the 5000's).
Nice kits, from what I hear and read on the Vanagon list.  Makes for quite
a screaming Vanagon.  Well, ok, maybe not screaming, but at least you can
remove that "I may be slow but I'm ahead of you" bumpersticker.

BTW, Mark, the Houston-area Vanagon owners that we know of (listees and
others) ought to have a get-together for pizza and beer and grins sometime.
 Perhaps after the holidays when things quieten down would be a good time.
Whaddya think?

Joachim

Joachim and Belinda and Hobi and Griffin in Houston, TX
...and now Lucky, the rescue kitten, too!
beekj@ghg.net

There are two ways to write error free programs.  Only the third one works.