Re: Time for new brake rotors :)

On Tue, 03 Sep 1997 00:21:30 -0700 Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:

>Does this hold true for 16V models as well?  I'm not sure what the size
>difference is between the 8V and 16V models, but I seem to recall that
>the 16V brakes are a bit larger.

Right, the 16V brakes are bigger. Bigger is better in the world of
brakes.

>I was told to go with Brembo rotors, Mintex pads, Braided Steel lines,
>and some synthetic brake fluid.  Sounds good...and expensive.
>Comments?
>
>jason
>87 16V

Ive heard bad things about Mintex pads. Namely that they are dangerous
when cold. (They need a warmup session before they are performing up to
par.) Even for road racing I hear they tend to not be as grippy as brake
pads go.
I use the Ferodo street/race compound and feel they are the best pads ive
ever used. (Ive even had a set of Porterfield Carbon Fiber pads and they
are not only better all around, but cheaper too!)
Im hearing that the Ferodo race compound brake pad is as good as the
street/race compound but better. No warmup needed for this pad either. I
will try this pad on my next set but in over the year ive had these pads,
I still got lots of life left in these babies and im never easy on my
car, especially my brakes.
Brembo rotors. Hmm, I have no experience with these but if you got he
money for them, I sopose they are good. Ive heard they are good. So far
ive found that stock vented rotors work very good. I have driven the
Pottermans Scirocco with gas slotted rotors and they do grip quite
nicely! Too bad they are eligal in DSP. (for me to use them or I would
have them)
I guess it all depends on what your intended use of the brakes are gonna
be. If its just easy commuter driving, then stock everything is fine. If
you intend to autox, then I firmly believe that my setup works the best
for the money. (Ive tried a few and settled upon this one.) If you plan
to do some spirited high speed driving, then you might want to go with
the gas slotted rotors.

As far as brake fluid, simply changing to a higher boiling point brake
fluid does much to improve the braking power of ANY car. Usually what
happens is the fluid boils and you get brake fade. Using components that
dissipate heat better will increase the amount of time you can be on the
binders before they do fade. (If you can go fast enough and be hard on
the brakes long enough, they will eventually fade. There is no such thing
as a fade proof braking system. Although F1 is right on the edge of it!
Carbon fiber everything!)

Steel Braided Brake Lines.
Again, I recommend them! Chances are good that your car had OLD rubber
lines. You can replace them with NEW rubber lines but they will
eventually (If you do any performance driving) break down a bit after a
few months and will start to flex with the applications of the brakes.
(Spongy feel.) I noticed right away that my brakes felt much more solid
after I installed my SS lines.
Did I leave anything out?? If so and you think im actually usefull, ASK!
:)
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and