fuel pressure regulator

Hi,

Some time ago I wrote that I solved my engine problems by disconnecting the
wires to the fuel pressure regulator. I got my engine running smoothly,
only it idles around 1.2 (sucks) and it doesn't run smoothly for a few secs
after starting.

Now I started wondering - what is the theory behind this fuel pressure
regulator.
If the electricity is off - how does this efect the power through the rpm
range?
Anybody good in theories?

Arno,
86 1.8i 8v