Re: Cylinder Head and Supertrap

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:16:12 -0400 (EDT) GIMPYvwMtb@aol.com writes:
>Ok Does anyone know whats the torque for 16v Head to block. . ?

This is not a simple proposition you ask. The torque sequence is not as
easy as just retorqing. Heres why. Basically when you install new bolts,
you torque the bolts like this:
Step 1:  30 ft lbs.
Then you go back and torque the bolts again using the new settings of;
Step 2:  44 ft lbs.
Step 3:  Tighten an additional 1/4 turn.
SO is it safe to break the torque of your bolts and retorque them. NO!
These are one time stretch bolts and are not soposed to be retorqued
again. I guess in theory you can remove all the bolts and replace the
bolts and torque them to the values above as long as you don't disturb
the head from its position.
Then again, its your car, do what feels right man! :)

>got a small leak and I think it just needs to be retorqued . . . Theres
only
>130 tp 140 miles on the new engine so I don't think it's the seal. . .
Anyway
>I Just  replaced my muffler cause it rusted and I don't like the sound
and it
>feels a bit more restrictive. . . So I was thinking about adding a
Supertrap
>to the end of my techtonics piping. . . Does anyone know how this sounds
or
>have any experience with the set up. . .
>      Well Thanks for the time and Help. . . .
>              Later. . . .
>               -Danny-
>     88 Tornado Red 16v

I can tell you that they sound like cheap crap. (IMHO) I see they cost up
to $200 for the things. They look cool to me but the sound sucks in a bad
way. I think you would be better off going with a Ultra flow or ... whats
the other muffler. Anyways, its similar and sounds really good to me.
(Ive got one on my Scirocco AND my GLi.)

HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and