Re: A/C -- The Final Chapter(?)

> Weeellll, it's pretty obvious I'll have to look to professional assistance on
> this one.  Fortunately (thanks to Rick) (thanks, Rick!), I can go in fairly
> well informed about what I suffer from and what I need.
>
> It sure isn't interested in holding any Freon above a few pounds of  pressure.
>
> Guess what I need is to hire someone to locate and repair the leak, which will
> hopefully happen when all the gaskets are replaced in anticipation of the
> legal refrigerant; replace the receiver/dryer, and recharge the system.  Am I
> capable of any meaningful portion of this?

If you were unable to hear anything after attempting to recharge, and
if it won't hold pressure long enough to apply mild soapy water to
the fittings etc I guess you're kinda stuck.  If it's leaking that
fast and stopped blowing cold suddenly it seems like you may have
taken a rock in the condensor.....sure hope not!

You could have them diagnose and then do the repair yourself, as long
as you feel comfortable replacing all the orings and the dryer  to
prepare for the upgrade to R134.  The labor is the biggest killer, as
always.  Good luck Jeff !
Rick
hugacub@whidbey.net
Richard.Lackner@entex.com