Re: Timing Questions.

Paul Hanley wrote:

> >       I'm completely confused.  I thought if it were a 16v he'd bend all of his
> >valves w/ the timing not set correctly (or no belt or anything)...
> >               ???
> >                       Jay
> >
> On a 16v you will smush the valves if the timing belt breaks and the engine
> is running. Not if the timing is off.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

With all the comments/questions about timing belts, I decided to take
the belt cover off my 86 16v to take a look at it.  The belt seems to be
in good shape, with no fraying or gouges out of it, and it is sitting on
the gears correctly.  The only thing is that there is a scuff mark about
1/8" wide in the center that runs the entire length of the belt.  Anyone
seen this before, and is a sign of things to come?  Also, aside from the
obvious sounds of a snapped belt and valves dancing, are there any other
indicators of impending doom we should look for?

Lloyd
86 16v
85 8v Golf