Timing Questions.

Questions,  (anyone please help).
	Timing belt questions:

1. I moved the spockets without the belt installed.  Could this cause
problems with setting up the timing in the car?

2. Are they any fixes, to this particular problem?
3. In the past, someone spoke of the distibutor and makeing some rotations
   to the #1 spark plug?  Could some one elberate on this topic please.

Since my knowledge on these topics is very slim,  My next option is looking
for a mechanic to consult.  Does any one have any suggestions of mechanics
in the Boston, MA area that are good with VW's.

Thanks for all your help.
Kilimanjaro.