Re: Timing Questions.

>1. I moved the spockets without the belt installed.  Could this cause
>problems with setting up the timing in the car?

Timing on the 8v is distributor rotor aimed at cyl. #1 or the indent mark.
If things are completely off, you can crank the engine with all belts
attached and the spark plug removed from cyl. #1. When it hits cyl. #1, you
will feel air pressure from the hole, at that point, stop cranking
immediately. You are now at cyl #1.

Then you align the TDC mark at the flywheel hole and the indent mark on the
cam sprocket at the top of the head. When everything's aligned, you may
have to have a friend twist the distributor until the engine turns over
easily while you are cranking. That is only if it doesn't start right up.

I am not sure if I missed something, so wait for all of those second
opinions to come pouring in. Don't bother with a mechanic, this is
definitely a job you can do yourself. Also, the 16v may be different knock
sensor and all.

Regards,
Paul Hanley