Shredded hose/duct - whaddasitfor?

Hi folks.

I got under the hood of my '85 Scirocco yesterday - basic tune-up stuff -
and noticed that I've got a shredded air (hose or duct or?)

It runs from the bottom of the air filter to somewhere around the exhaust
manifold.  I can't figure out where it ends up because that end of the
(hose/duct/?) is shredded and swinging in space and I can't get a good angle
to see behind the engine.  It's also -3 degress celcius here with snow on
the ground - not having a garage to work in means I won't be getting under
the car to look for the receiving end!

Anyway, I suspect that it is intended as a warm-air feed or some such thing
but I don't know.  Bentley doesn't have any illustrations that mean anything
to me on this topic.

So, does someone have a second to tell me what it is, what it does, and what
might be happening to my car without it.

BTW, not knowing too much about my car means that I  look on every little
repair as a "learning" experience;  I just wish "classes" were held a little
less frequently!

Chris
'85 Scirocco.

cfiddes@direct.ca