Quick question about batteries.

Hi there.

Geez - I've lurked on the list for months with only the occassional post and
now three posts in one day.  If I keep this up you guys might start to
suspect I like my car or something!  ;)

Anyway, we've had our first cold(ish) snap here and the '85 is not a happy
camper in the morning.  It's got a DieHard in it (Please - no Sears flames)
that was pretty damn reliable last winter.

I put a good strain on the battery once this summer, inadvertently leaving
the interior electricals on while I got pulled away to the phone (and then
some food, and then a little TV.......).   When I returned to the car it was
dead.  Nothing - not even one crank. I jump started it, drove it for a while
and all was well.

Can I breathe new life into the existing battery or will I just have to get
a new one when this one ultimately dies?

If I'm gonna need a new one, how about some suggestions for good cold,
winter conditions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris.
'85 Scirocco.