Re: Shredded hose/duct - whaddasitfor?

You are correct in assuming that it is a preheater for intake air in cold
weather.  When the air temperature goes below a certain point, a valve
closes and forces air to be sucked through the hose from behind the nice,
warm exhast manifold.  This helps the engine warm-up faster and also
improves fuel effeciency.  The metal thing hanging (it happend to me also)
is called the "stove."  Unless it gets really cold, I'd consider fixing
it, otherwise, just tied it out of the way so it won't rattle around.

James

'85