Re: Autocrossing is wonderful

At 08:36 PM 11/16/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, Shawn, I allready have a new Techtonics free flow cat.  I also got the
>dual downpipe at the same time.  I just haven't put those things in yet
>because I want to wait until I get the rest of the system before I climb
>under there and mess with that thing.  Shouldn't be too much longer though
>until I get the TT stainless cat back system!  :-)

It would take 5 minutes to hollow out the cat. All you need is a long
screwdriver and a couple wrenches to do it quickly. its worth it for the
short term gain. Thats just me tho.  :)
Do you already have the dual outlet manifold? (I think its stock on your 84,
no?)

>Oh, amd I just got my new struts in via UPS yesterday!  YAHOO!  I get them
>from Mark.  Oh, and I decided to go for Bilstien HD.  They were a bit less
>than the Koni's, and since I need a new exhaust too (damn VA state inspection
>is coming soon) I needed the extra $$$ for the TT system.  I'll letcha know
>when I get those shocks and struts in.  HEY, I didn't know that Bilstien HD
>had an adjustable spring pearch?  COOL!  :-)

Be careful with the rear spring perch settings. If they;re like the Koni's
you will almost have to use the middle (stock) setting. I tried to do a
cheapy lowering job to accent my race springs lowering looks but all it does
is unseats the springs over bumps. I can get a set of lowering spring seat
caps from Velocity but for now, ill leave it alone. ($$$ problems)

>I can't wait to get out there and benefit from this!!  Also, I want to know
>the limits of my car.  Not like I'm going to be flying around corners on
>streets, but just for the fact you were talking about.  In case I have to
>pull some evasive manuvers!

Get out there and get it done! You should be able to change the rear
shocks/springs with out any special tools. You could even do it without a
spring compressor. I'vew done it by using my body weight to compress the
spring while I removed the nut. If you can somewhat compress the spring with
your own weight, you can safely remove it. if your not sure, dont try it!
You could get really hurt of done wrong. Like ive said before, I have over
15 yrs of mechanicing experience from lawnmowers to helicopters (<--- big
lawnmowers) to Piston aircraft to fighter jets to passenger jets. Ive
learned a few shortcuts.......
The front struts you can remove and take to your mechanic to remove the
spring and/or the strut cap. Have them install it and reassemble it. Put it
back on your car and get it alligned. You could do like me and set your
caster (By eye or bubble level) and set your toe by eye. If you want
detailed info on how to do this, ill send you private email. it will drive
good enough to get to the allignment shop. Its been 4 montha and Im still
driving on my allignment. Finished second at my last race so it cant be that
bad!
Another note tidbit, when you do go to have your allignment done, be in the
driver seat while they do it. It will reflect a more realistic condition of
when your driving. Mike's scirocco was +1 deg on one wheel and -1 deg on the
left side after he got in and they remeasured. Thats alot of difference on
the track if you ask me!

What springs are you using?

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi