Re: Autocrossing is wonderful

<< It would take 5 minutes to hollow out the cat. All you need is a long
 screwdriver and a couple wrenches to do it quickly. its worth it for the
 short term gain. Thats just me tho.  :)
 Do you already have the dual outlet manifold? (I think its stock on your 84,
 no?)  >>

I know it would not take me long to hollow out that cat, but since I will be
replacing the whole system in a couple of weeks, to me it just isn't worth it
to remove that heat shield (or is that a scrape pan?) from under the cat,
remove the thing and then hollow it out and put it back in.  I *think* I can
wait until I do the whole system!  (I just can't wait to GET the system!!
;-))
No, sorry to say my car came with that cheesy C-clamp exhaust manifold.
 DAMN!  My life would be sooooo much easier if it did come with the dual
manifold.  BUT, I allready have a good dual manfold from an old Rabbit of
mine.  It is in really good shape, and allready has the O2 censor hole in it!
 I just need to take it off the head that it rests on.

<<  Be careful with the rear spring perch settings. If they;re like the
Koni's
you will almost have to use the middle (stock) setting. I tried to do a
cheapy lowering job to accent my race springs lowering looks but all it does
is unseats the springs over bumps. I can get a set of lowering spring seat
caps from Velocity but for now, ill leave it alone. ($$$ problems) >>

I have allready put the rears on (did it today in about an hour, I was taking
my time)  I put the spring perch setting on the next to highest.  I sized the
Bilstien up with my old Boge, and then wanted the Bilstien to be about half
an inch higher than the Boge.  With the Boge, the rear was a little bit lower
than the front.  I did not like the way that looked.  Looks MUCH better now!

<<  Get out there and get it done! You should be able to change the rear
shocks/springs with out any special tools. You could even do it without a
spring compressor. I'vew done it by using my body weight to compress the
spring while I removed the nut. If you can somewhat compress the spring with
your own weight, you can safely remove it. if your not sure, dont try it!  >>

I did do it today!!  YAHOO!!  It was very easy (I have done it before on my
Rabbit)  It was VERY easy.  Just took me an hour.  I did not need any type of
spring compressor.  Since I have lowering springs, I just has to take off the
nut, and by the time it came off, the spring was all the way extended.  I
felt completely comfortable doing it this way with the rear.  Now, the front
is a different story...

<<  The front struts you can remove and take to your mechanic to remove the
spring and/or the strut cap. Have them install it and reassemble it. Put it
back on your car and get it alligned. You could do like me and set your
caster (By eye or bubble level) and set your toe by eye. If you want
detailed info on how to do this, ill send you private email. it will drive
good enough to get to the allignment shop. Its been 4 montha and Im still
driving on my allignment. Finished second at my last race so it cant be that
bad! >>

That is exactly what I plan on doing for the front.  I am going to remove
them tomorrow after I get back from shool, and then take them to a local
suspension shop to have the parts transferd.  Then, I am going to take it to
my dealer, andhave my mechanic line it up.  I will talk to him about letting
me sit in the car durring the allignment.
What i am going to do for an allignment after I replace the struts, is I am
going to mark on the essentric bolt for the camber/caster the possition that
it is in at that time.  That should work okay, since I will be using the same
springs.  It may sit a little bit higher in the front with the new struts,
but the pro allignment will take care of that.

<<  Another note tidbit, when you do go to have your allignment done, be in
the
driver seat while they do it. It will reflect a more realistic condition of
when your driving. Mike's scirocco was +1 deg on one wheel and -1 deg on the
left side after he got in and they remeasured. Thats alot of difference on
the track if you ask me!  >>

WOW!  That is not just a big difernce for the track, but also for the
street!!  Man, now I know I HAVE to be in my car for the allignment!!  My
mechanic will understand...

<<  What springs are you using?  >>

I have Neuspeed lowering springs.

Lemme tell you about my old rear shocks.  After I got everything apart, I
compressed the old Boge.  It went down quite a bit easier than the new
Bilstien, but it was still very firm.  BUT, it took the thing a FULL 25-30
seconds to come back out on its own!!!  Man, when I compressed the Bilstien,
it came back out in just a few seconds!!  Then, i drove the car.  WOW!  The
rear end is SOOOOO much smoother, tighter, and it does not lean NEARLY as
much!! Also, when I accelerate, the car does not transfer as much weight to
the back (it doesn't squat)  I REALLY like these new shocks!!  I can't wait
to get the front on there tomorrow!!  I'll update once they are in!!  :-)

I did not know you could fall in love with our car all over again to this
extent!!  Just those rears made THAT big of a difference!!!  :-)

Tim :)

'84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco