Re: Autocrossing is wonderful

At 07:29 PM 11/17/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I know it would not take me long to hollow out that cat, but since I will be
>replacing the whole system in a couple of weeks, to me it just isn't worth it
>to remove that heat shield (or is that a scrape pan?) from under the cat,
>remove the thing and then hollow it out and put it back in.  I *think* I can
>wait until I do the whole system!  (I just can't wait to GET the system!!
>;-))

Lazy butt!  ;)

>I did do it today!!  YAHOO!!  It was very easy (I have done it before on my
>Rabbit)  It was VERY easy.  Just took me an hour.  I did not need any type of
>spring compressor.  Since I have lowering springs, I just has to take off the
>nut, and by the time it came off, the spring was all the way extended.  I
>felt completely comfortable doing it this way with the rear.  Now, the front
>is a different story...

Yah, you gotta use a spring compressor for that.

>Lemme tell you about my old rear shocks.  After I got everything apart, I
>compressed the old Boge.  It went down quite a bit easier than the new
>Bilstien, but it was still very firm.  BUT, it took the thing a FULL 25-30
>seconds to come back out on its own!!!  Man, when I compressed the Bilstien,
>it came back out in just a few seconds!!  Then, i drove the car.  WOW!  The
>rear end is SOOOOO much smoother, tighter, and it does not lean NEARLY as
>much!! Also, when I accelerate, the car does not transfer as much weight to
>the back (it doesn't squat)  I REALLY like these new shocks!!  I can't wait
>to get the front on there tomorrow!!  I'll update once they are in!!  :-)

When I removed the shocks from our GLi, I did the same thing. The only
difference was, the old shocks didnt come back up. They stayed fully
compressed. Now thats a used set of shocks! (They were the origional ones
with 107,000 miles on them.)
The front struts were in the same shape so when we got the new springs and
shocks on the car, its like a new car! The nice thing about A-2's is you
dont need an alignment after yo change the struts! That was a nice suprise!
My Scirocco with the Konis dont squat at all. It just goes! Feels good eh!

>I did not know you could fall in love with our car all over again to this
>extent!!  Just those rears made THAT big of a difference!!!  :-)

Man, your suspension must of been, crappy! Dont it feel great when you
improve the car! Ahhhh.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi