Re: Clutch advise (more, please!)

At 11:45 PM 11/9/96 +0800, you wrote:

>Sachs is the choice by all, and is the OEM for stock clutches.  I'm
>told they make a 210mm and/or sport clutch also.  Some say go with
>the sport, some say stick to stock.  Which one are you referring to
>above Shawn?  And is there a great difference in price between the
>stock/sport/210?  Do most VW dealers sell all these or do they only
>sell stock?

I have the 210mm. it should be perfect for what you want. Good durability
and performance at a great price.

>If I do this at home, I need to find a place that will machine the
>flywheel on a Saturday.  I live in a small town on an island in WA,
>so you can see why this concerns me.  I just don't have a lot of free
>time to jerk around, and no spare car to use.  It's been at least 12
>years since I popped a clutch in a car, and I have never put one in a
>front wheel drive car before.  Although I used to be a mechanic in a
>past life, I'm a little hesitant due to unfamiliarity.  How long would
>this take working off the ground?

Expect it to take you a good 6-8 hours. (+/- 8hrs. JK!)

>I have a floor jack and a bottle jack and a decent set of tools?

Jack stands?

>How about lining up the clutch?  Do I need a dummy shaft?

A cluch alignment tool or you can do it like I do, by eye. You can buy the
tool for a few bucks, then it sits in your tool box.

>What is the center plate for?  I'm used to a simple disc and
>pressure plate.  Also, to replace the crank and
>tranny seals, how much longer?

The clutch in a VW in kinds unique. There is no throw out bearing where
there typically is one. its in the back of the tranny. The center plate is
what the throw out rod presses on to disengage the clutch.
It will take you about an hour to change the crank and tranny seal. Be
careful with the crank seal. you could easily damage the housing the seal
fits into. Its got to be pressed into the housing but ive done it with a
bench vise. I just worked it into the housing with the vice. Pressure,
rotate, pressure, rotate. Takes a little while but the end result is the
same if you have an arbor press.

>The clutch has chattered a bit ever since I got the car, thus my
>belief the flywheel needs machining.  Also, I'm getting a little oil
>and tranny leakage so it makes sense to replace the seals while it's
>apart.  This may also be the reason it's slipping.  BTW, it's a very
>minor slippage right now and seems to lessen when it's warmed up, but
>but I can still get it to slip if I try hard enough.

Right, its a prefect time to do that. Its well worth the extra time spent
doing the little things now so you can enjoy all of it later.

>Thanks to all for the advice they've given so far.  Sorry it evolved
>into even more questions, but that's what you guys are for, right?

Thats why were here. :)

>Oh yeah Shawn........you said you love it here and would love to
>visit.  Now would be a good time.  Instead of a cheeseburger, I'll
>take you out for dinner :)  Maybe we'll do that pesky right side
>motor mount while your here :)  Don't forget to bring your belt
>tensioner.............hahaha

Thats right, I did say I do love that part of the country. Intersting,
dinner is quite tempting! I'll make you sorry you said that! (I can eat
quite alot my friend. 6'0" 160 lb bottomless pit!) Actually, if you take me
to Pikes Market, we can eat at the restraunt that Tom Hanks and Rob Reiner
ate at in "Sleepless in Seattle". I cant remember the name of the restraunt
but I had the best steamed clams there!! YUMMM!!!

Belt tensioner? Thats what bicepts are for!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and