Re: Clutch advise (more, please!)

On  8 Nov 96 at 21:17, Shawn Meze wrote:

> 1 word. SACHS.
> Its not really a performance clutch. Well, it is but not a radical
> kind of part. Its simply better than stock. I can tell you this
> much, its great id your one to abuse clutches. (lots of city driving
> ect) I forget what I paid for mine but its been 18 months and im yet
> to adjust it even after probably 15 autocross events ands a day at
> Buttonwillow. Not to mention my normal day to day thrashing.

Ok....I've gotten several replies and want to clear a few things up
that are fuzzy in my mind (as you've all come to expect by now).
Thank goodness you guys love to give advice.......

Sachs is the choice by all, and is the OEM for stock clutches.  I'm
told they make a 210mm and/or sport clutch also.  Some say go with
the sport, some say stick to stock.  Which one are you referring to
above Shawn?  And is there a great difference in price between the
stock/sport/210?  Do most VW dealers sell all these or do they only
sell stock?

What I'm looking for is durability, not racing performance.  I drive my
'Rocco at least 500 miles a week so you can see the need for a long
lasting clutch.  I get stuck in a lot of bumper-to-bumper freeway
traffic (all you Seattle area people know what I'm talking about) so
I do have to do a lot of shifting.

I really don't want to go to a dealer (Mark quoted me some real sweet
prices for the parts), but I may have to (if they can guarentee a one
day job).  I can't take time off from work in the forseeable future
and need a place close to my job that will give me quick service.
There just happens to be a VW dealer 1/2 mile away from work.

If I do this at home, I need to find a place that will machine the
flywheel on a Saturday.  I live in a small town on an island in WA,
so you can see why this concerns me.  I just don't have a lot of free
time to jerk around, and no spare car to use.  It's been at least 12
years since I popped a clutch in a car, and I have never put one in a
front wheel drive car before.  Although I used to be a mechanic in a
past life, I'm a little hesitant due to unfamiliarity.  How long would
this take working off the ground?  I have a floor jack and a bottle
jack and a decent set of tools?  How about lining up the clutch?  Do
I need a dummy shaft?  What is the center plate for?  I'm used to a
simple disc and pressure plate.  Also, to replace the crank and
tranny seals, how much longer?

The clutch has chattered a bit ever since I got the car, thus my
belief the flywheel needs machining.  Also, I'm getting a little oil
and tranny leakage so it makes sense to replace the seals while it's
apart.  This may also be the reason it's slipping.  BTW, it's a very
minor slippage right now and seems to lessen when it's warmed up, but
but I can still get it to slip if I try hard enough.

Thanks to all for the advice they've given so far.  Sorry it evolved
into even more questions, but that's what you guys are for, right?
Oh yeah Shawn........you said you love it here and would love to
visit.  Now would be a good time.  Instead of a cheeseburger, I'll
take you out for dinner :)  Maybe we'll do that pesky right side
motor mount while your here :)  Don't forget to bring your belt
tensioner.............hahaha

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA