Re: Clutch advise

At 12:07 AM 11/10/96 +0800, you wrote:
>On  9 Nov 96 at 12:49, MARK DAVISON wrote:
>
>> >I remember reading that it's a good idea to replace the flywheel
>> >bolts after removing it.  Any other things I should be thinking of
>> >while I'm preparing to have this done?
>>
>> It is nice but not absolutely necessary. What is very important it
>> to re-seal the threads on these bolts or oul will leak through the
>> crank onto the clutch.
>
>What's recommended to reseal the threads?  I have some silicone
>gasket sealer (blue) that I use for thermostats, etc.  Is this ok for
>this?

Rick, please trust me when I tell you to at least replace the flywheel
bolts. The other bolts im not so sure they absolutley have to be repplaced.
A young kid brought out his freshly rebuilt rabbit to the autox. In his 2nd
run, he zinged the flywheel. (Broke all 5 of the bolts) I asked him if they
were new, he said nope, reused the old ones. This got me into a discussion
with my VW Guru, Mike Potter about them bolts. He said they are a one time
use bolt. Once you torque them AND you add a few dozen heat cycles thru the
bolts, theyre junk once you remove them! He was adiment about it. His being
a VW Dealer, he knows what works and what doesnt work, never mind what the
book says.
About the thread lock. Any blue or red thread locking compound will work.
The gasker sealer is more for a liguid application more than it is for
keeping bolts in. The new flywheel bolts hace thread locker already on them.
If you buy new clutch bolts, they have the same material on them as well.
Just use a dab of Lock-Tite. (TM)

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi