Cross Post from Vortex and lense repair.

Sorry about the cross posting... but...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3454611&cmd=addnotify

Hey...
I have an 80 Scirocco and it appears to be wired differently from my 87.

My 87 16v has a 90 amp alternator that is wired B+ to Starter and
Starter to positive terminal on the Battery.

The 80 has been upgraded to a 65A but I am looking at replacing all
the large gauge wires under the hood to facillitate better charging.
Looking at the wiring it appears to go Positive Battery to Starter.
The Alternator "plug" then goes towards the firewall and according to
the Bentley it goes to the fuse block?

So I am thinking of getting a Bosch 90 amp alternator and wiring it
similar to the 16v's and taking that "plug" and smaller gauge wire and
putting it on the Battery directly.

Yes? No? Maybe? Anyone done this? I don't have a warm fuzzy with that
small gauge wire going to the firewall and such. It has 27 years worth
of corrosion and crap. It charges the battery now ok but if I run the
headlights or anything like that it no longer charges. Also FLAPS
tells me that the alternator isn't working correctly but it's brand
new. Going to pull that tommorow. But seriously thinking of replacing
with a 90 amp.

Yes I read Timbo's tech notes. It doesn't mention the differences in
charging circuits--STILL A GREAT RESOURCE NOT KICKING ON HIM.

ALSO looking at repairing a set of ALL red tails.  (no yeller' side markers.)

Found this...
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1383222&cp=1254883.1255100.1259030&parentPage=family

I was thinking of getting glass cut to the size of the reverse lense
(broke it myself--doh), and getting something like the above for
texture/light diffusion.  Glass for the heat (Not that it's gonna
build up in reverse for a few seconds) and the kit for the looks.  I
was thinking that I may experiment with some sort of design between
the glass and the lens material.  I was thinking white vinyl decal
material so it wouldn't be obvious until the light was masked by it.
I was either thinking 16v or VW emblems.