Bit Torrent Speeds

Brad Sterling wrote:
> Hi all, Heading OT here, but I know there are
> bit torrent users on the list. Delete now if
> you're not interested. I set up uTorrent and
> starting monkeying with it this weekend.  It
> connects fine and all, but I was expecting faster
> speeds.  My DSL speed was measured at a ~384k
> upload rate and ~1200k download rate.

Besides the "do the sources have enough upstream bandwidth" comments, keep
in mind that you have a 384 Kbit/1.2 Mbit (note the *BIT*, not byte) rate.
Bytes are about 10th the rated KBit speed, many folks forget this point.
Getting over 100 KB (bytes) a second on "standard" 1200/384 DSL is pretty
impressive.

I'm a big fan of DSL over cable modems for two reasons. First, DSL is far
more efficient then cable because you are always, or almost always, switched
meaning you get the whole DSL line bandwidth for yourself where cable shares
the 10 Mbit-ish connection with dozens or more likely hundreds of users.
Second, DSL provides more upstream bandwidth then cable and having this
upstream bandwidth helps decrease latency.

Scirocco content: See my next post.

-Marc

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
'83 VW Scirocco California Edition