Master Cylinder - WTF?

Not to diss the 'pressure' bleed method, but I'd like to add a rather important point.

On the submarine, some of my gear included some very sensitive detection equipment intended to measure flow rates.  (sorry, I have
to be vague about this stuff on the list).  The system was over-engineered to withstand depth charges, missile launches, you name
it.  It worked, in many ways, like our braking systems, and had high-point bleeder valves throughout, including a design that makes
it continuously vented.  It was connected directly to a high pressure system (relation: guy in car pumping brake pedal).  You would
think that to bleed the air out of this system, you just pop open the bleeder valves and take advantage of the pressure that was
already there.  Nope.  Instead we would go through hours of work to isolate the system, just to add another water source (at ambient
pressure (relation: brake reservoir)).  At the vent lines (relation: bleeder valve), we would connect a vacuum pump.  We would then
draw the source water into the system (at a vacuum) to vent it.

So, why go through all of this trouble when we could have just popped the vent at pressure?  Small bubbles don't like leaving, and
just love staying put.  Bubbles that would be too small to leave the system at atmospheric pressure will expand under even slight
vacuum, resulting in _significantly_ greater removal of air from the system.  You would think just venting at atmospheric would be
good enough, since the bubbles would surely collapse under the several hundred pounds of operating pressure.  Not so.

So, do yourself a favor and pick one of these up at your local flaps:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/brake_bleed.html
This turns brake bleeding into a one person job.  You connect it to the bleeder, draw fluid through until air free, close the
bleeder, and move onto the next wheel.  The only concern is drawing the reservoir dry, and to compensate for that, put a tranny
fluid nozzle on the brake fluid bottle and invert it into the reservoir - it will auto-maintain reservoir level at the bottom of the
nozzle opening.

Side note: Even though full stroking a new MC can possible damage the seals, it does have to be fully stroked at least a few times
to properly lubricate the seals and expel trapped air.  The safest way to accomplish this is by bench bleeding.

HTH (everyone)
Al
(still fighting for the ability to vacuum fill on the big boy toys)