WAS: Looking at '91 Corrado G60 / NOW: Spoilers...

This reminded me of something I've been wondering about:  The rear spoilers.

1) I know, from reading VW lit, that it helps keep rain/water off the
rear window due to the gap between it and the glass.  Correct me if I
am wrong, I live to learn.

2) I have a friend who owns a Corrado.  He turned off the rear
spoiler.  He told me that he definitely felt the loss of it on turns
at high speed.  He said it really did help, in his opinion, and this
is why he turned it off: because he thought it was for looks and
wanted to see the difference.  Since then, he keeps it on.

3) Lately, on vortex, it seems the big craze is spoilerless hatches.
Why?  I don't know.  Looks interesting, but for me, on looks alone,
I'll keep mine.

My questions: Is the spoiler effective on the Scirocco like my friend
says it is on his Corrado?  Meaning, does it help keep the rear end
solidly on the ground in the turns?  If so, why would someone want to
remove it if doing so would hamper driveability?  For show, I can
maybe understand.  But I think most of us love these cars more for
their driveability than their looks (don't get me wrong, the looks go
a long way!  Sexy Beasts, indeed).  And if one is planning on adding
more power, then if it really is effective in handling, wouldn't it be
prudent to keep it?

Pardon my rambling.... I love beer.

--
Mike
'86 red 16v: Red 5 (aka der Jahrtausendfeierfalke)