Changing shocks

I've never used a compressor.  I simply undo the center top nut and jack up that corner.  The factory springs are down to about 100#
by the time the strut fully expands, so nothing real crazy happens, just make sure you are clear of the wheel well, and keep the
wheel on until that corner is up.  Aftermarket springs generally have an inch of play at full extension of the strut.  Hand-guiding
factory springs back into position requires an additional person.

You say 'shocks' - if you're talking about the rear, the spring compressor only makes the job more complicated (since the coils are
of such a small diameter).

Light weight oil acts to improve heat transfer between the strut cartridge and the housing.  It doesn't have to be wd-40, it can
simply be some lightweight engine oil (cheap stuff).

HTH
Al