Changing shocks

On 3/24/07, Allyn <amalventano1@tds.net> wrote:

> I've never used a compressor.  I simply undo the center top nut and jack
> up that corner.  The factory springs are down to about 100#
> by the time the strut fully expands, so nothing real crazy happens, just
> make sure you are clear of the wheel well, and keep the
> wheel on until that corner is up.  Aftermarket springs generally have an
> inch of play at full extension of the strut.  Hand-guiding
> factory springs back into position requires an additional person.

Yes that will work but compressors are cheap and make the job easier and
quicker in my opinion.  I have done it every way possible even just letting
the spring shoot the strut nut and bearing across the yard into the fence.
Gets to be a rush unscrewing the nut towards the end in anticipation of
something taking off your hand :)  Once Sean brought over the spring
compressors they have not left my shop and get used every so often when we
run across stock suspension.  It's like you do not need the injector puller
tool since they most often come out with just a screw driver but shelling
out the $8 for the tool sure makes the job easier.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 4