since were on the topic of strut removal...

On 3/24/07, David Brown <sharpshooter33@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> My Bilstein HD's will be in this week for my 86 Jetta.  I have a
> question...  They don't have bolts in the top of the strut towers, only the
> main nut in the top... I'm hoping, thinking there's another one under the
> main or what hold the spring in when I take the bottom 2 bolts out???

You mean the 2 studs that stick up through the shock tower from the upper
strut bearing that have 13mm nuts on them are gone?  If so make sure to get
a new strut bearing for each side.
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=171412329A

> Some else at the store when I was checking out with my spring compressors
> told me that an easy way to do any struts is to wrap wire around the springs
> before you remove them from the car and u can use the wire to hold the
> spring compressed while you replace the struts??? I may use the wire, but
> with my compressor...Really don't want to let one of those puppies loose.
> 8-\

Stick with the spring compressors.  They are like $12 at harbor freight and
you will have them for life.  What happens if the coils you can not tie
together spring out once you get it apart?

--
Gordy
MK1 x 4