Toilet bowl spring clamp install tips needed...

On 6/28/07, Mark F. <mk1mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyone have any tips on re-installing those springs, other than buying
> the Hazet tool?  I'd like to save myself at least a bit of
> frustration, although I know I'm in for a good curse session...

The solutions posted all work well, I've used home-made wedges and a
muffler-clamp expander (which is my current weapon of choice.)  The
secret to installing the clamps is to pull the exhaust to one side
first, and install that clamp (no tool needed.)  Then   install the
expander/wedge on the second clamp, pull the exhaust to the other side
and install the clamp.  The further you can pull the exhaust, the less
you need to expand the clamp.  After a while you get good at it (hmmm,
like say if you're doing diesel headgaskets for example)

Drew