Toilet bowl spring clamp install tips needed...

On 6/28/07, Drew Mac <type53@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/28/07, Mark F. <mk1mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any tips on re-installing those springs, other than buying
> > the Hazet tool?  I'd like to save myself at least a bit of
> > frustration, although I know I'm in for a good curse session...
>
> The solutions posted all work well, I've used home-made wedges and a
> muffler-clamp expander (which is my current weapon of choice.)  The
> secret to installing the clamps is to pull the exhaust to one side
> first, and install that clamp (no tool needed.)  Then   install the
> expander/wedge on the second clamp, pull the exhaust to the other side
> and install the clamp.  The further you can pull the exhaust, the less
> you need to expand the clamp.  After a while you get good at it (hmmm,
> like say if you're doing diesel headgaskets for example)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I didn't use any of them!  :)

I was going to try the muffler clamp idea, and was about to bust out
my welder to modify it to be more safe, but an idea popped in my head.
 While under the car on a creeper I thought about using my floor jack
and a piece of  1/2" copper with the end flattened with a hammer to
expand the spring clamp.  I used a pair of welding visegrips to hold
the downpipe  to the manifold on the driver side, and then from under
the car I located the bottom of the passenger side spring in it's
home, and then pushed up and expanded the spring with the copper pipe
and floor jack (using my legs to assist pumping the jack while laying
on the creeper.).  It worked great!  Since the bottom of the clamp is
located inward in it's depression as soon as the spring was expanded
enough to clear on top it snapped into place.  I would use something a
bit more stout than 1/2" copper next time, but when it's 'MacGyver
time' and the job has to get done you use what you have on hand to get
shit done...

Later,

Mark.
75
82
82 Caddy - mTDI monster swap in progress...