Toilet bowl spring clamp install tips needed...

Hi list,

I'm changing out the toilet bowl exhaust gasket on my brother's 90
Golf.  I've never had to re-install one of these pains-in-the-asses,
since a dual outlet manifold install always followed the removal of
that fine piece of engineering in any of my cars...

Anyone have any tips on re-installing those springs, other than buying
the Hazet tool?  I'd like to save myself at least a bit of
frustration, although I know I'm in for a good curse session...

Thanks,

Mark.
75
82