urethane suspension bushings?

Mark,
I put a full set of Prothane bushings on my '81 2 years ago, the full
set includes all 4 motor mounts, front control arm bushings, steering
rack bushings, front bump stops, upper rear shock mounts and rear beam
bushings.  New sets can be had for around $100, or you can bit-and-piece
them to get what you want.  I LOVE mine, really sharpened up the
steering response, and the hard motor mounts increased throttle response
a lot.  You WILL get more engine vibration into the cabin, but I got
used to it.

Checking Potters site yielded:
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=22%2D2008
Total Poly Kit, $90 plus shipping.

If you install them, USE GREASE on your control arm bushings, otherwise
the squeaking will drive you batty.

Nate