I Broke Another... racing story

> Ben, this is EXACTLY what happened to Sean at Track Day North a couple
> weeks ago.  Strangely enough, this is also the second time that he's
> sheared a hub!

That's what I thought!  Geeze... he was running race tires also?  I know you were... have you ever
had this happen?  I'm thinking that before taking the cars onto the track we need to pass around
the 30mm and breaker bar to make sure our axle nuts are tight.  hehe...

Have you heard about this "fix"?  Tightening the axle nuts to over 300ft-lbs supposedly helps
reduce the chance of failure.  I read this from a few racers...
Neal might have been one of them I just can't recall.

> I wonder if just preemptively replacing the ffront hubs once per
> season would be the easier/cheaper solution (for track A1's) rather
> than "upgrading" to A2 spec.  (I can get new hubs for $28 Cdn. jobber
> price through a friend).  I've directly compared A2 to A1 hubs and
> they're only a tiny bit bigger, so I'm not so sure you'd be gaining
> much at all in strength/fatique resistance...
>
> What about heat treating the hubs?  (or are they already treated?)

Good idea.  Yeah, replacing them every year or two is probable a good idea.  I'm not so sure they
are heat treated.  You don't see the pretty colors in the metal on a new hub that would indicate
it was heat treated... I'll need to look at another one again.

I know that A2 racers still have this hub-shear problem... so you're right, either replace every
year or so or possibly heat treat.

I can get hubs down here for about $30, so that isn't too bad I suppose.  It's just the
installation labor and alignment issue.  I'm thinking of just purchasing a big hydraulic press so
that I can start pressing in the hubs and bearings myself... then it would just be the alignment
issue to deal with.  Unless you know a place to get that VW wheel bearing puller tool for cheap...
that would eliminate the need to re-align.

Ben Harder
1980 Scirocco
1997 Jetta GLX

http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/