I Broke Another... racing story

On 9/3/06, Ben <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <long...well, for me at least!>

> For the second time in 3 years I have succeeded in breaking a hub!  Yep, the hub sheared at the
> point where the neck enters the wheel bearing.  So basically my wheel was being held in place only
> by the axle and axle nut!  I consider myself lucky that my wheel stayed in place (for the most
> part) as I came to a stop.  I was exiting a turn and applied throttle only to have the engine rev
> freely to redline.

Ben, this is EXACTLY what happened to Sean at Track Day North a couple
weeks ago.  Strangely enough, this is also the second time that he's
sheared a hub!

I wonder if just preemptively replacing the ffront hubs once per
season would be the easier/cheaper solution (for track A1's) rather
than "upgrading" to A2 spec.  (I can get new hubs for $28 Cdn. jobber
price through a friend).  I've directly compared A2 to A1 hubs and
they're only a tiny bit bigger, so I'm not so sure you'd be gaining
much at all in strength/fatique resistance...

What about heat treating the hubs?  (or are they already treated?)

Later,

Mark.
75
82