I Broke Another... racing story

Holy crap!  Glad it was not as exciting as it could have been!  I'd say
you're probably right- the failure is more than likely due to heat stress.
 I guess I see two solutions- Either put on bigger front brakes and hope
the heat dissapates better, although you already have cross-drilled rotors
and nifty brake cooling ducts, right?  Makes me wonder how much of a
difference it would make.  Or, swap on A2 or A3 front carriers.  I
remember Andy (poloV8) has managed to swap out A3 carriers on his MK1 1.8T
swap.  Um.... ok, got it here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1894286&page=9  Toward the
bottom.  Looks fairly straightforward.  Hard to tell from the pics but it
looks as though the tie rod end would be the same.  You would need A3 ball
joints but I think they will bolt up to the A1 arms.  Might be something
to consider anyway.  Hee hee, then G60 rotors would bolt straight up to
the carriers, or you can even go 5-lug swap pretty easily that way.
(which is what I plan on doing eventually.)  :D

LOL and about tight axle nuts- Mine were on there so tight, that I had
literally an 8-foot pipe on my 1/2 inch breaker bar, with the car in 5th
and the E-brake pulled, it was still dragging it across the garage floor.
I had to have someone in the car holding the brake down while I hung from
the bar before they broke loose!!!  I think they were the original nuts
and they had a good bit of rust built up on them.  "redneck loctite" as
they say......

Good luck.  Glad to hear that you didnt break anything major on that
beauty!

Brendan