I Broke Another... racing story

> Good idea.  Yeah, replacing them every year or two is
> probable a good idea.  I'm not so sure they are heat treated.
>  You don't see the pretty colors in the metal on a new hub
> that would indicate it was heat treated... I'll need to look
> at another one again.

New ones are coated with some light metal-colored coating (dipped possibly?), which would cover up any discoloration.  Based on the
way these parts shear/crack/break before bending, I'd say its very likely they are heat treated.  I'd also say they tap the lug bolt
holes prior to the treating, based on how freggin hard it is to re-tap one of them.

> I can get hubs down here for about $30, so that isn't too bad
> I suppose.  It's just the installation labor and alignment
> issue.  I'm thinking of just purchasing a big hydraulic press
> so that I can start pressing in the hubs and bearings
> myself... then it would just be the alignment issue to deal
> with.  Unless you know a place to get that VW wheel bearing
> puller tool for cheap...
> that would eliminate the need to re-align.

The hub itself comes out with an air hammer, though you'd likely want to swap the bearing out while you're in there, considering
they cost the same.

> Ben Harder

Oh, and for the breaker bar thing - I personally subscribe to the 600 ft-lb rated impact at full setting + 120 psi + about a minute
theory.

Al