I Broke Another... racing story

> New ones are coated with some light metal-colored coating (dipped possibly?), which would cover
> up any discoloration.  Based on the
> way these parts shear/crack/break before bending, I'd say its very likely they are heat treated.
>  I'd also say they tap the lug bolt
> holes prior to the treating, based on how freggin hard it is to re-tap one of them.

Ok, you're probably right.  I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be heat treated.
The coating would explain why I don't see any discoloration.

We just need someone with a CNC to make us some hubs from a stronger material.  ;)

> The hub itself comes out with an air hammer, though you'd likely want to swap the bearing out
> while you're in there, considering
> they cost the same.

Yes, I would definitely change the bearing while there...

I'm going to look at a few hydraulic presses this week.  Seems like the way to go since I'll sure
have many uses for a press in the years to come.

> Oh, and for the breaker bar thing - I personally subscribe to the 600 ft-lb rated impact at full
> setting + 120 psi + about a minute
> theory.
>
> Al

Well then, I'd say you win.  That's a lot of torque!  At what torque rating should we be concerned
with shearing off the axle stub?

Ben