Mk1 voltage drop and faint alternator light glowing

The 85 had an issue with where the engine actually stopped in relation to TDC.

The starter, alternator, battery, cables and such all swapped out.  If
the car was stalled it put the engine in a difficult cranking position
that required a bump by rolling the car a couple feet and popping the
clutch.  Not to start but rather move the engine a little.  A real
pain in the ass in Seattle with hills or San Fran.  I perfected the
reverse roll bump if nobody was behind me.