Mk1 voltage drop and faint alternator light glowing

Cathy..

Probably bad contacts on the solenoid or the brushes in the starter..
The other is a field change recommended in the bentley as a HOT START problem.
they basically relay the starter activation line. hence once again
German engeers you want to smack for 100 .. they run the solenoid
activation thru the ignition switch.

The church of high compression highly recommends A2 diesel starters...
it cranks the bunny over with 12-13:1 compression right over.
205 psi across the board @ 45F. It was a very used one out of the
junkyard as well.

Brian