90mm vs 100mm - that is the question

----- Original Message -----
From: "peter" <peter@thescirocco.com>
To: "'David Utley'" <fahrvergnugen@cox.net>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:05 PM
Subject: RE: 90mm vs 100mm - that is the question

> > --- peter <peter@thescirocco.com> wrote:
> > > The CV bolts are the same, but the lock plates are
> > > different.
> > >
> > > The only difference on the spindles, is that the
> > > inside lip, where the outer
> > > stub makes contact, and they can easily be opened up
> > > to accept the 100mm
> > > CV's.
> > >
> > > I usually pull them from Mk.2's, or buy them cheap.
> >

> > So Peter, you're saying a MK2 should not have
> > clearance issues at the spindle for a 100mm joint, correct?
> >
> > All '85, and up, [A1's] came with 100mm CV's.
> >

> I have learned that this is not true.  A GTI might have the larger-holed
> spindles, but not all of them do.  They all went to the larger holed
> spindles in either 88 or 89.  If you find a Golf with a VIN of 3, it is
made
> in Mexico, and it will have the larger-holed spindle.
>
> David
>
> Did you miss the A1?
>
> "All '85, and up, [A1's] came with 100mm CV's."

I guess so, indeed they did not come with 100mm.

> All the A2's I've seen, have accepted 100mm CV's.
>
> Peter

No flammage intended, Peter.  :-)

  I was looking into getting a set of A2 spindles to put on my A1 GTI
because the A2s have their steering arms (the part that accepts the
tie-rod?) higher up.  This allows a lowered car to have its' steering arms
at a more desirable location, parallel with the ground.  I did some
reasearch, and WackyWabbitRacer as well as Racer X helped with that
information.  I trst their experience, as they have both been in the SCCA
scene for a good while, and are known sources for good information.  I
regret that I have only confirmed their information with what I have found
on ETKA, and have not seen this in person.  Any interested parties should
bear this in mind if you begin to look into this seriously...

David