was:I guess Now: New 'Roc

It seems to me that it only
> made sense for Volkswagen to bring back the Bug when they did.

No question. It got the company a lot of press, and paved the way for other
"retro" versions offered by other companies.

> But when you looks at the A1 which in most cases were boxes on
> wheels, and you try bring back names from the past with VW new design
> it just doesn't work, period.

Well, VW has usually had some visual continuity from generation to
generation, unlike many other automakers. For example, we had a Chevy Nova.
What do you picture? Bigass muscle car, right? Ours was a rebadged 87
Corolla, so much so that we actually found it easier to get parts at the
Toyota dealership. And what of Tbirds? Or new Civics? Or how about
Mustangs, which obviously has done the same thing with this new retro
version as we'd like to see with our cars. The one in my driveway (88
Notchback) looks enough like a VW that many people think it's another Jetta
till they see the fat boots on the back. Even when it's parked right next
to a Jetta! Not like the new one, not like the old fastback. I'm not saying
that's a good thing, but there are many examples of cars that don't follow
the style with the name. And you have to admit that Rabbit is a better name
than Toureg. I know what a Rabbit is :)

> Just think how many A1 Scirocco you could buy for that price.

But I'd never drive a Scirocco in the winter unless it was rough anyways,
and do I want a rough DD in the winter? I wouldn't mind a part time
winterbeater Rocco (working on that actually), but I sure wouldn't want to
rely on one.
Cathy