Shine rear swaybar dimension & metallurgical advice needed + (ATTN: Ron P.

On 6:08 pm 08/08/06 "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/06, C Boyko <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>
> >  b) MkI Mark put that Shine bar on in my garage. Afterwards, the
> >  car just didn't lift like a normal A1. Can't tell you exactly what
> >  was different, but it just looked VERY different being lifted. And
> >  remember, 90% of what I ever jack up is A1 chassis. This has to
> >  indicate a change in chassis stiffness.
>

> IIRC you witnessed the car being lifted before the bar was installed
> (to get the jackstands under it).  I lifted it from one side at the
> rear (you need a more "manly" floor jack! :D), and the whole back end
> lifted pretty much equally.  For some unknown reason that 86 (now
> Allyn's) was incredibly stiff - unlike any Scirocco I've owned, and
> I've owned a shitload of them...
>
> Later,
>
> Mark.
> 75
> 82
> 82 Caddy
> 93 Chevy/Kia 1/2 ton

I was pretty sure that you lifted it after the bar went on for some reason,
and I DO have a more "manly" jack now :) That little wimpy one has retired
since I bought a nice aluminum/blue anodized one "for my husband" for
Christmas. Not sure if he's even used it yet, but I can get the jackstands
well up past the first notch now :)
Cathy