From: scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Ruffi
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:12 PM
To: Scirocco-L
Subject: The headaches have begun...SMS maybe?

I have mixed feelings about this.  I've been driving a Toyota.  Now, I'm
trying the get the 85 ready for daily life and a trip to H20 and all
kinds of shit is popping up.  I enjoy the tinkering, but....

At the end of its maiden voyage the other day, the exhaust manifold area
started to leak.  I found the CO test pipe to be rotted through
(surprise!). Removed the offending pipe and sealed the hole with a bolt
and washer.  Took the time while in there to connect the ground stap,
which had been disconnected....bonus.

Also cleaned the battery terminals and wiring and properly connected the
exciter wire to the alternator....I was happy....starting to make the
car
mine.  Getting things in order.  Yes, yes, GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!
Ahhhhhhh.

Start the car and POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP from the manifold.
Some black marks seem to point to at least one blown out manifold
gasket. ARGHHHHH!  I don't want to be bothered with this!  Exhaust
manifold gaskets suck!

Plus, the idle was hunting like mad.  I noodled with the mixture, which
must have changed with the intake integrity after I removed/reinstalled
the hoses and things settled down.  Gotta make up a rig like Cathy had
at Cincy.

Plus, there's a grinding noise while I drive which I hope is wheel
bearings. Always there when rolling, regardless of engine speed, clutch,
etc.  I'm hoping it isn't SMS....I plan on draining and inspecting the
fluid before I drive any distance.  Next will be the old screwdriver
stethescope on the bearing housing with the car running/in gear on
jackstands.  Any suggestions/descriptions of the difference in sound
between the two situations?  No noticable gear oil leaks that I know
of/clutch is high, but OK.

If I don't get this car good n' driveable, I'll be doing H20 in a Kia
4-Runner..damn!

Jim