The headaches have begun...SMS maybe?

I have mixed feelings about this.  I've been driving a Toyota.  Now, I'm
trying the get the 85 ready for daily life and a trip to H20 and all kinds
of shit is popping up.  I enjoy the tinkering, but....

At the end of its maiden voyage the other day, the exhaust manifold area
started to leak.  I found the CO test pipe to be rotted through (surprise!).
Removed the offending pipe and sealed the hole with a bolt and washer.  Took
the time while in there to connect the ground stap, which had been
disconnected....bonus.

Also cleaned the battery terminals and wiring and properly connected the
exciter wire to the alternator....I was happy....starting to make the car
mine.  Getting things in order.  Yes, yes, GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!   Ahhhhhhh.

Start the car and POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP-POP from the manifold.
Some black marks seem to point to at least one blown out manifold gasket.
ARGHHHHH!  I don't want to be bothered with this!  Exhaust manifold gaskets
suck!

Plus, the idle was hunting like mad.  I noodled with the mixture, which must
have changed with the intake integrity after I removed/reinstalled the hoses
and things settled down.  Gotta make up a rig like Cathy had at Cincy.

Plus, there's a grinding noise while I drive which I hope is wheel bearings.
Always there when rolling, regardless of engine speed, clutch, etc.  I'm
hoping it isn't SMS....I plan on draining and inspecting the fluid before I
drive any distance.  Next will be the old screwdriver stethescope on the
bearing housing with the car running/in gear on jackstands.  Any
suggestions/descriptions of the difference in sound between the two
situations?  No noticable gear oil leaks that I know of/clutch is high, but
OK.

If I don't get this car good n' driveable, I'll be doing H20 in a Kia
4-Runner..damn!

Jim