The headaches have begun...SMS maybe?

I did this just the other day to verify a bad wheel bearing on my nephew's car.
No tires, idling in 5th and using my little piezo crystal electronic
engine knock listening device which is way safer than screwdriver
against ear close to rotating component.

Anyway, interesting results. The good wheel bearing was almost silent,
the bad one quite loud.
Out of curiosity I also listened to the tranny and water pump and
despite the fact that all those bearings are relatively new and make
no noise while driving the car, with my little listener they sounded
as bad as the bad wheel bearing!
In any event I'm sure a bad tranny bearing will show up as quite loud
when you are close to it on the case.
Are you familiar with tranny rebuilds?
Dan