water pump questions (sorta long)

> 1)  I read in the archive something about needing 2 o-rings between the
> housing and the block?  Is this true?  Two o-rings did come with the
> housing, but I assumed one is for the t-stat.

I've never seen 2 o-rings there. I usually put a nice coat of blue RTV on
both the o-ring and the entire seating surface prior to reassembly. Have not
had a leaker yet. Also, I usually don't put all faith in that cork gasket
used between the housing and pump assembly. I usually coat both sides with
blue RTV (thin coat).

> 2)  The o-rings supplied are identical, and though either will fit in the
> housing-to-block recess, they have to be pushed in to seat -- being
> slightly too large in diameter to settle in easily, as they do in the t-
> stat housing.  I've read in the archives different things, that the block
> o-ring is the same as the t-stat o-ring, and also that the block o-ring is
> slightly smaller.

I'd go with the tighter fit - if there is a difference. Its much easier to
replace the t-stat o-ring later on.

> 3) Finally, Bentley says no RTV between the housing and the block, and
> doesn't specify for the t-stat.  Haynes says use RTV in the t-stat.  At
> this point I don't trust either manual for this job, so can anybody hep me
> wit dese questions?

I've never had issues with RTV on the housing, but I've never had to use RTV
on the tstat housing. RTV would just make it that much more difficult to get
everything to line up in there (tstat placement and o-ring placement is a
little tricky, especially with a new o-ring).

HTH
Al