hello and 2 questions

On 10:18:37 am 09/05/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> hi all,
>      i'm currently in the process of buying and 88 16v (my first
> scirocco, and indeed, first vw).  it has two problems that i've love
> to get advice on.

You're in a good place for that...

> 1 - the clutch pedal does not return when depressed -

The only time I had this happen was when the clutch cable was twisted up
inside, but there was just a thread about it, maybe someone can send the
reply to that. (One was pretty serious surgery)

> 2 - the car has the famous scirocco idle problem.  that is, when
> idling, the idle fluctuates +/- 500rpms or more, and almost stalls -
> pressing the throttle does not immediately bring up the idle.  what
> can/should i check in the car's ignition system to deal with this?

Lots of possibilities here, and probably a search of the archives might
work well. I'd do a quick check for bad vaccuum hoses/cracks in the
boot/around injectors/at the idle bypass valve, that sort of thing, then
cook up a harness to see what the DPR current is like, it may be overly
rich or not getting a proper signal from the O2 sensor. (Mine did this when
the O2 sensor was dead, AND the mixture was set full rich) Oh, a non
functional idle stabiliser valve is another option I guess, so far mine's
behaved itself. But there are all kinds ot things that will give a bad
idle, happy hunting.

And consider a Bentley service manual, you'll have your money back in no
time.

> many thanks,
> blake/

Well, welcome, and just remember, that car is old, and will give you some
grief before it settles down and behaves. GL with that process...

Cathy
1987 2L 16V "the Silver Headache"
1979 10:1 8V "Klaus"
and some other fine German scrapmetal